Mine

Mine
A riding crop and a blindfold doesn't make it BDSM. There is a big difference between being kinky and being in the scene. It's not a sexual thing to me, it's a very spiritual thing. ~ DominaBlue

3/24/11

Chapter 54

EPOV

Bella was still sleeping when I came out of the bathroom; she was on her back with her dark hair laying against the pillow. A few silky whisps of chestnut strands cascading over her shoulders where the blankets gathered snuggly covering her breasts. Seth watched me with hopeful eyes as I got my running clothes out and dressed. Sitting on the edge of the bed to tie my shoes, Bella let out a small sigh shifting to her side. She looked peaceful in that quiet state and the last thing I wanted to do was wake her, however I wanted her to know we were leaving.

“Bella…” whispering in her ear she snuggled into the pillow letting out a soft moan, “...baby I’m taking Seth for a run.”

“Mmmm…what time is it?” I smiled at her sleepy voice.

“It’s only six o’clock, go back to sleep.”

“Hmmkay,” she never opened her eyes and I wondered if she actually heard me but I didn’t want to disturb her any more than necessary. Just as I was leaving the room she mumbled, “Edward, lock the door.”

Like I would ever leave it open

The morning air was brisk as the sun was just coming up making it the perfect temperature for running. Holding Seth’s leash we made our way to the park. I was surprised to see so many people out on the path, but I suppose with it being a work day they would have to get an early start. Although I myself didn’t have work, I did have a busy morning.

Aro wanted me at New Moon so that I could get set up on the computer system before we left. He had a meeting with Mike later in the day –which Emmett was going to attend. Aro wasn’t sure what he was going to do about him yet, it would all depend on Mike’s explanation of the events, but something told me that he wasn’t going to be working at the club much longer.

The events of last night’s dinner were enlightening to say the least. Bella’s little show of dominance in handling my brother was eye opening. I had seen small glimpses of control come through her personality before but she had never taken command of a situation. I knew that to her it was just a way to tease Emmett but she had done so well that I could see the desire to take control coming through. Then when I told him that I would have knelt, the hopefulness in her eyes was so plain that I needed to set her straight right away. If I had thought she was only kidding that idea was quenched the moment our eyes met. The sound of her voice along with the disappointing look told me all I needed to know.

I’m not exactly sure how to give her that experience which is a difficult position for me to be in. Wanting to give her all that she desires and yet knowing that there would be no way that I could fully submit to her. I was fairly sure that bringing another person into our playtime would be out of the question. I’m not even sure that I would feel comfortable with that situation. I had been involved with group play many times, but like everything else where Bella is involved, it was different.

As I thought about it an idea came to me. It would be possible for me to top from the bottom, giving her a taste of control while I still kept my dominant role. Bella could get the experience she seems to want without involving a third party. I would get the thrill of both watching and feeling her dominant side while still ultimately being in control. That prospect is something we would have to talk about in detail at a later date.

By the time everyone left and we had exhausted ourselves there was no time to talk about whatever Aro had been discussing with Bella in the kitchen. I sort of felt like an ass for even suggesting that there was anything inappropriate about their relationship, but in the heat of the moment I couldn’t help it. There was some other man laughing and conversing with her regarding something I had no clue about. Add to that the brush off she gave me when I inquired about it and my mind went to places it knew better than to go. The irrational jealousy spiked through me because he seemed to share something with my girl that I wasn’t aware of. Maybe it wasn’t so much jealousy as it was greediness, my greed to be the one and only man in her life.

That fact was again driven home when Aro commented that he had taught her well. I knew he only meant in the literal sense not in actual experience but it still grated on my nerves. If Bella needed to be taught anything I wanted it to be by my hands. Which was irrational considering my uncle has known her for much longer than I have.

It was also very clear that Aro has a deep fondness for Bella even to the point where he seems to indulge her. I was shocked that she had the audacity to question his decision to handle Jessica. I knew why she didn’t want him to do anything hoping that the less attention thrown her way the better. Besides I suppose it does give the appearance of favoritism. But still, I could not believe she questioned him, practically insinuating that he was acting out of anger.

My uncle is a man who sets his standards high. When problems arise he weighs his options before making a decision, however once made he very seldom alters his course. He does not appreciate his judgment being questioned or attempts to sway his resolve. Last night I witnessed a side of Aro that I haven’t very often seen since Mason’s death. It was in that moment when the indulgent father came through that I totally understood their connection.

Bella was definitely upset about everyone’s reaction to their relationship. I think the most surprising was Jane’s confession. I guess in Bella’s mind she never considered the prospect of being intimate with Aro so it hurt her to think that others would. The fact that her friend (and they were friends) at one time had thought the worst of her, caused some unease in the room. However they must have talked about that shit because by the time they left there was no tension between them at all.

That thought made me chuckle as I realized that with women it seems no subject is taboo. In this one instance Emmett was right they talk about everything. Seth must have heard me because he broke stride to turn his head and look at me before falling back in step so we could make the loop back home.

Unlocking the front door I followed the music out into the kitchen. Bella had her back to the door pouring herself a cup of coffee. She was dressed for a workout in a pair of aqua yoga pants and a black sports bra with all her hair gathered in a band over her left shoulder. Walking up behind her I wrapped my arms around her waist. Taking advantage of her bare neck and placing kisses there, happy with myself as I felt her shiver.

“Mmmm…you’d better hurry up and get out of here, Edward’s going to be back soon” I growled loudly in her ear making her giggle.

Bella turned her head for a kiss, “How was your run?”

“Great, it’s going to be a beautiful day, perfect for a long ride.”

She nodded, “Do you want coffee?”

“Give me ten minutes, I want to shower first.” I was all sweaty and needed to get dressed for the day. Grabbing a bottle of water I left Bella in the kitchen.

The bed had been completely stripped even down to the missing mattress protector. Bella’s luggage sat ready in the middle of the floor, while a small overnight bag sat open on top of my dresser. Before taking a shower I did the last thing that had to be done for our trip. Although not completely necessary, on-line reservations were strongly suggested for the ferry and I didn’t want to take any chances.

Bella was sitting at the table eating a bagel with some jam. After putting a bagel in the toaster and getting myself some coffee I stood quietly leaning up against the counter watching her. Most people would spread a layer of the jam on the whole thing but not my Bella. She cut the bagel up into at least two dozen small squares and was using a little spoon to scoop a small amount of jam on each individual piece before popping it in her mouth.

She must have sensed my stare because her eyes met mine, “What?”

Taking a drink of coffee I shook my head grinning as the toaster popped up, “Nothing.”

I joined her at the table spreading cream cheese over my bagel the way everyone else usually does it. As I took the first bite Bella picked up the knife I used placing a small amount of cream cheese on one of the little squares then added jam before putting it in her mouth. She continued doing that little routine while we talked about our individual plans for the morning.

She had yoga which I was aware of but she caught me off guard when she mentioned that she was also going for a waxing. Glancing over my shoulder I looked at her calendar but I couldn’t see the writing from so far away.

Bella took a drink from her cup noticing where my attention went, “I made the appointment yesterday, I didn’t get to write it down…yet.”

Taking another drink of coffee I didn’t say anything, but that was twice now that something was not put on the calendar. The lunch with Jane yesterday- which I found out about accidentally - that was ultimately cancelled and now the waxing, I guess my submissive will have some explaining to do. But at the moment I thought of something else.

“If you are waxing have them remove the remaining patch of hair.”

Bella’s hand stopped mid-way to her mouth and she just stared at me; I wondered what had caused the reaction I was getting.

“Wh-Why? You said I could keep it.”

Taking a drink of coffee I thought over my words to her on the subject, “If I remember correctly I said you could keep it for the time-being but I would like it gone now.”

“Can we talk about this?” her eyes stayed focused on the few pieces of bagel that were still on the paper towel. I didn’t understand what the problem was; we were talking about a tiny little patch of neatly trimmed hair.

“What’s the big deal?” I watched as she sat there quietly staring at the table chewing her bottom lip. “Bella?”

Devastation is the only word that came to my mind when she looked into my eyes, “I know this is really stupid, but can I please keep it until next time?”

My eyes narrowed in confusion, what did it matter if it was now or later? “Why?”

“Do you know why I kept a small patch?” I had no idea; I just figured she liked it that way. Why go through the discomfort and trouble of waxing if that wasn’t the case? I didn’t say anything though instead waiting for her to tell me.

Bella seemed to get her emotions under control taking a deep shuddering breath, “James always…he would be brutal in keeping me bare.”

She was imploring me to understand and I did. She had told me how he would tie her down and pluck each hair out. I couldn’t imagine the pain, fear, or humiliation that would cause her.

“When I finally left and would go back home I would have to see him and it was my way of silently saying ‘fuck you’ to him… stupid right?”

Comprehension came to me immediately; Bella was anxious about going home. As silly as it might sound that little patch of hair gave her the extra sense of self-esteem she needed to face her demon. I figured that had the subject of the hair removal come up after we were back, it would be a non-issue. However at that moment it was something Bella had always relied on and there was no way I was going to take it away from her.

Sitting there watching her try to explain her coping method, I realized that this trip to Forks was not going to be easy. She had not said much about it other than to give an overview of the activities that were planned. That fact alone should have given me an indication as to her state of mind. In those few seconds of time I realized that as the week wore on and our arrival in Forks grew closer that she was going to need more stability. I wasn’t exactly sure how to give that to her, but I could start with this.

“No…not stupid, and if it makes you feel better then keep it for now,” I told her entwining my fingers with hers. “But baby, maybe next time you go instead of silently saying ‘fuck you’ perhaps you can actually verbally say it.”

“Maybe,” Bella admitted quietly.

I tugged on the hand that had our joined fingers pulling her closer to me for a kiss. After our lips parted I sighed resting my forehead against hers, staring into Bella’s warm eyes. The smell of her skin was amazing and my nose moved across her cheek until it settled in the spot under her ear where the aroma seemed more concentrated.

“God baby you smell so good,”

She giggled with a little shiver, “I haven’t even showered yet.”

“Hmmm…” I hummed against her neck, “I could just eat you.”

“I’ll remind you of that later…” she said pulling back from me, “…right now I have to switch the laundry and leave.” I pouted shamefully knowing that she had to go to yoga. I had kept her from going to the gym yesterday morning and that was something I didn’t want to turn into a habit.

As she moved to get up I took the last bite of my food watching as Bella seemed to be in some discomfort. “Are you alright?”

The blush on her face made me even more curious, “I’m fine…tender but good.”

Tender?

Having her step between my legs I lifted my head to look up at her while she ran her fingers through my hair. She must have seen the question on my face because she smiled brightly, “Don’t looked so worried Edward; it’s just the morning after effects.”

Morning after?

It dawned on me then what she was talking about and a feeling of dread came over me, “Did I hurt you?”

Bella laughed dryly, “No…but I can definitely tell that I was thoroughly STF’d.”

I had no idea what she was talking about, “STF’d?”

“Shucked, tucked, and fucked.” Her words made me laugh because I had never heard that expression before. They also brought about a sense of relief although I didn’t think that I had been that rough with her last night. Bella’s next words answered my question.

“Yoga class will loosen up my muscles, and don’t worry I’ll take the trade off any day.”

“Ahhh…well in that case…” my hands held on to the round fullness of her bottom pulling her center closer to me, “…I’ll have to be sure to do some more trading.”

“I’m counting on that.”

Bella leaned her head down to place a kiss on my lips. It was soft and warm for a second before she pulled back taking my bottom lip between her teeth. The groan left my throat as my hand moved up her back to rest behind her neck, keeping her in place before my lips attacked. My tongue forced its way into her mouth devouring everything in its path, as her hands gripped my hair. She moved closer to my body bringing her knee up against my dick and I couldn’t help but thrust against the pressure it created. She sighed lightly into my mouth and for a second I thought about taking her right there and giving her some more of trading skills.

The phone ringing brought me out of my stupor. I was still looking in Bella’s eyes as I answered, “Hello?”

“Edward, are you alright dear? You sound out of breath.”

Nothing conquers a hard-on like the sound of your mother’s voice

“I’m fine mom.”

Bella snickered while taking a step away from me clearing off the table. I watched while she moved across the room putting the dishes in the sink and returning items to the refrigerator. The rhythmic sway of her hips drew my attention to the fullness of her ass and her lean muscular thighs.

Thighs that I would love to feel wrapped around my body while I dive into her

“Edward…Edward! Are you listening to me?”

“Yeah mom… you want me to give Aro something. I heard you.” In all honesty that was all I heard. I had no idea what it was or why she couldn’t do it herself. She was saying something about coming by the house…

“When will you be here?” I honestly hadn’t heard because I was watching Bella shake her ass at me while bending over to switch the laundry.

Tease!

Mom sighed, “I’ll be there in about twenty minutes.”

Bella left the kitchen just as I was saying goodbye to mom. I knew she had to leave but when I went into the living room she was coming down the stairs with a book in her hand. “Can you give this to Jane please?”

Looking at the book my brow furled because I didn’t remember her even reading it, “I will if you tell me what kind of dog I am.”

She laughed moving past me to pick up that hideous gym bag, “I’ll tell you later.”

Kissing her at the door I stood on the porch watching as she drove around the corner. Seth followed me up the stairs to retrieve the luggage. Just as I brought them down the doorbell rang and my mother stood there holding a key in her hand with a strange expression on her face.

Apparently she wasn’t aware that we had the locks changed, so I took a few minutes to show her how to work the door and the security system. Mom didn’t have time for coffee because she was going shopping with Alice this morning. It seems that in order to go to the beach new bathing suits were a necessity. Mom popped the trunk of her car and I took the huge box out, grunting because of how heavy it was.

“Jesus, what the heck do you have in here?”

“I told you,” she was annoyed, “it’s all the samples and swatches; Aro has to decide today what he wants to order.”

Mom opened the back door of my car for me to put the box in before kissing my cheek and leaving. Going back in the house I made sure Seth had some fresh water, picked up the book Bella wanted me to return, locked the door and left.

For the third day I a row I found myself driving to the club, and the second day parking in the reserved lot in the back. I never wanted to be involved in the daily operations of the club. In part because I like my teaching job, I have weekends, holidays and summers off. Although the club is technically only open three nights a week, it still requires constant attention. Employees, schedules, ordering, cleaning, bookkeeping…the list of activities are endless and something that I didn’t want to be responsible for. It was so much easier to come and do the few jobs that I agreed to do in exchange for “silver membership” and a table in the VIP section.

I still didn’t want to be immensely involved, but for the time being I don’t mind picking up a few more responsibilities and helping my uncle out. That will not play well with my mother, she loves her brothers and doesn’t begrudge them making a living, but she doesn’t approve of their lifestyle. She never says anything to Emmett or me about our involvement but there are times when the disapproving looks can’t be hidden. I suppose in her mind ignorance is bliss and she would sooner not think about it then to consider her sons as some kind of depraved monsters.

Emmett brought Rose with him when he came home from college, mom loved her right away. Rose can be a hard-ass sometimes but she carries scars that make her skeptical of people, even those that are close her. Rose’s wounds brought out the nurturer in my mother and she welcomed her with open arms. I think that mom had hoped that Rose would “cure” Emmett of his wild ways. When it didn’t happen she overlooked that part of their life, focusing instead on all the so called ‘normal’ things.

It worries me a little that mom might have the same thoughts about Bella. That somehow or another she will cure me of my need for the unnatural. I think sometimes I can see the hope in her eyes, that Bella and I will marry, have babies and leave that part of my life in the past. Like a D/s relationship is a fleeting childhood hobby the same as collecting baseball cards. My mother would never openly be rude to Bella nor will she ever fully understand.

The same as yesterday Aro had not arrived so I let myself into the club, setting the box down on the corner of Jane’s desk. I didn’t have a lot of time to dawdle so I logged into the computer pulling up the new program. I played around with the demonstration section just trying to get a feel of what the program was capable of. It appeared that everything could be handled through the spreadsheets and there was even the capability of using it for sign-in purposes. Now all I had to do was get Aro to agree to that.

“Good morning Edward,” Aro’s voice broke through the room, “what do you think of that?”

“From what I see it looks simple enough. I think the hardest part will be loading all the starting information into it.”

“Are you all logged in?” he asked leaning over my shoulder to see what I was doing.

“No. You need to enter an executive password for me to register.”

We went into his office to do that while Jane took my place at her desk. Once I was all logged in I brought it up once again about having an electronic sign in but Aro shot it down. No matter what my reasons were he always came back with the same excuses, so frustrated I mumbled, “maybe I should have Bella ask to you.”

He chuckled, “What good would Ms Swan do?”

“You go ahead and laugh but I’ve seen how you let her get away with stuff, just like Mason used to. I would get grounded and he would get a stern, ‘don’t do that again son,’” trying to imitate Aro’s voice and failing miserably.

Aro got a faraway look in his eye, “I assure you Edward that Mason was punished when needed. But I suppose that there was a certain amount of leniency due of his illness. I seen a lot of the antics you two got into as just harmless pranks, boys being boys. Then there was the tendency to just be glad that he was there to participate in those activities that caused me to overlook minor things.”

I couldn’t imagine the pain of losing a child and I understood his reasoning, or at least now I did. At the time I would be sent to my room alone while he was taken out for ice cream all because we super glued the neighbor’s mailbox shut. The thought made me smile and Aro raised his eyebrow in curiosity but I just shook my head keeping that memory to myself.

Glancing at my watch I realized that I needed to leave. Jane was standing at her desk going through the box and when she heard us she stopped what she was doing turning to look at Aro who sighed, “Go ahead.”

She shuffled a few things on the desk picking up another book and holding it out to me, “Would you please give this to Bella?”

I took it from her looking at the title, ‘The Corset Diaries’ and while I read it she continued to talk, “It’s the perfect mindless romantic comedy to read on the beach. This girl thinks that Bella will enjoy it.”

“Romance novel?” Bella didn’t strike me as the romance novel reader. Heaving bosoms and swollen rose lips, I wasn’t so sure about that. I used my thumb scanning quickly through the pages wondering out loud, “Is there sex in here?”

“Oh yes…” Jane smirked with a twinkle in her eye, “…that is what makes it such a good book…for the beach.” I laughed telling her that I would give it to Bella then headed out to the car. There was one more place I had to stop at before going home.

Demetri was behind the counter rather than Felix, that fact surprised me as he was the craftsman of the family while his brother was the salesman. I can’t say that I ever had a problem with Felix and he did stand up for Bella that day in my house. But he was a salesman by trade and could smooze with the best of them. Demetri on the other hand was straight forward; you always knew where you stood with him.

While he waited on someone else I glanced around at the glass cases, my eyes falling on the diamond rings. I couldn’t seem to take my eyes off them and there was no feeling of unease about it, in fact it felt …right.

But as I looked at them nothing struck me as anything that would be the right ring, if there even was such a thing. The voice on the other side of the counter brought me out of my thoughts, “You getting ideas Edward?”

I sighed diverting my gaze to his as he kept talking, “Can’t see that I blame you, she is quite lovely and she must be pretty damn special too.”

“Yeah she is,” I agreed then added, “on both counts.”

Demetri went into the back to retrieve the anklet that I ordered. Opening the rectangle box to show me he stood quietly while I picked it up out of the cushioned padding that it laid against. It was silver and light in weight with at least two dozen tiny bells dangling from the main band. The sound the bells made was subtle yet could still be heard, it was charming and exactly what I wanted.

As I put the anklet back in the box Demetri replaced the lid while I took out my wallet to give him my credit card. When he came back with the slip for me to sign I was once again looking through the rings.

“So do you see anything you like?”

“Not really…nothing seems to be the right one” I told him handing the slip back.

“You know when you are ready; I could design an original with any setting and gems you want”

That might be an idea, which would make Bella’s ring one of a kind just like her. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Demetri handed me the little red bag that contained Bella’s anklet, holding on to it a bit longer than necessary, letting me know that he had something else on his mind. I just stood there with my hand holding the bag waiting for whatever he had to say, finally after a few uncomfortable seconds he spoke.

“Caius told me she was with Aro…” it wasn’t a question it was a statement, “…I think he talks out his ass.”

I sighed debating if I wanted to say anything or not, it wasn’t that their relationship was secretive but it was personal and no one’s business. Then I thought maybe if a few choice people knew the truth the rumors would die down. Especially since Aro told us last night that he would be banning Jessica from the club indefinitely. So I chose my words very carefully.

“They do have a relationship. It is and always has been purely platonic in its nature. Aro has acted in an advisory manner towards Isabella; they share the same kind of bond as I do with my uncle, one of mutual respect”

I figured that while I had his attention and had given some information maybe he could give me some, “The question I have is why Isabella’s relationship with anyone matter to Caius?”

The buzzer on the door went off, letting us know that someone had entered; Demetri’s eyes looked behind me, quickly jerking his head as if to give direction. Looking over my shoulder I saw the reason for the action as I watch Giaha move through the door that led to the back. She was a pretty woman, tall with shoulder length dark hair that matched her olive complexion. As soon as she had made it through the door Demtri started talking.

“Personally Edward I think that Caius is just a nosey fucker and can’t stand the fact that there is something going on that he is not in-the-know about. He mentioned your Isabella to me on Sunday night and made reference that she was new to you but not to Aro. He also insinuated that Aro has been providing for her financially, giving her large sums of money. Where he got that idea I have no clue. Again, it is none of my business,” he held his hands up in a gesture of surrender as he continued, “and what Aro chooses to do with his money or anything else is strictly up to him.”

I was going to tell him that Isabella is not now nor has ever been kept by Aro when Demetri spoke again, “But I have to tell you that from the few minutes that I had the privilege of speaking with your Isabella along with my brother’s view of her, I can’t see that as being true. As I said she seems like a perfectly lovely young woman.”

A wicked smile formed on his face, “And if she has got Edward Cullen looking at rings she must be something special and you are a lucky man to have found her.” I smiled taking the bag from him because I was a lucky son of a bitch and my Bella was waiting for me.

As I drove home some of what Demetri had said came back to me. Caius thought that Aro had been providing for Bella. If he honestly thought that then he wouldn’t be aware of the inheritance she received. Because obviously with her own finances the last thing Bella needed was for someone to provide her with money. So that would mean Caius didn’t know~which would rule him out as someone who was digging into Bella’s personal back ground. Unless he did know and was just being an instigator, but the more I thought about it the more it didn’t fit with his personality.

Demetri was right; Caius prided himself on being a go-to guy, someone who had the answers to your questions. He dealt in antiques, was an avid history buff, and knew a lot of mindless information. Someone my grams would say knew a lot about nothing of importance. So I could see how his curiosity would get the better of him. But still, where did he ever get the idea that Aro was giving Bella money? Then the thought occurred to me, did Aro ever give her money?

My irrational brain came up with that question all on its own while the more logical side tried to ward it off. Even if he did – which I doubted – it would have been to help her out, not for services rendered.

Where the fuck did that come from?

Pulling up in front of the house I didn’t bother to pull into the garage knowing that we would be loading up the car and leaving shortly. Bella wasn’t downstairs and there appeared to be a few more bags along with Seth’s bed added to the luggage that I had brought down earlier. I found her up in the bedroom and she was dressed comfortably in white jeans, sneakers, and a beige sleeveless shirt. She had just finished making the bed and was smoothing out the comforter as I came through the door.

“Five minutes earlier and you could have helped me.”

I shrugged wrapping her in a hug, “I would rather help you mess it up.”

Bella smiled, “I bet you would.”

I kissed her quickly asking how her morning was and if she was ready to go. She took one more quick look around the room before saying that she was sure she had everything and we went downstairs. Bella headed out into the kitchen while I started putting the luggage in the trunk of my car. She came outside wearing a pair of sunglasses carrying a picnic basket and Seth’s bed, both of which went into the back seat. With everything in the car Bella quickly ran back in the house to get her purse and Seth before I set the alarm and we left.

There was a giddy excitement in the car that I was sure was radiating from Bella. When I looked over at her she was practically beaming making me chuckle, “Are you excited?”

“Yes,” the twinkle in her eye told me she wasn’t lying, “I haven’t been anywhere in a long time. Last year I tagged along to Alaska with Jake and Leah…but that’s it,” her brow furrowed while she dug through her purse taking out her phone.

“Excuse me a minute,” Bella pressed the button on the phone then brought it to her ear while she continued to talk to me, “anyway, the last time I was in Victoria was my senior year…”

Bella stopped talking to me letting out a long exasperated sigh, “Leah I’m just letting you know that we are leaving. I don’t know if I’ll have service but I’ll try you later, call me…love you.”

Closing her phone she placed it back in her purse, it was clear that her mood had shifted and I wondered why, “Is there a problem?”

“No,” she shook her head. “She just won’t answer my calls and I don’t know if she’s busy or avoiding me.”

“Why would she avoid you?”

Bella shrugged, “I don’t know.”

Granted I didn’t know Leah very well but she struck me as someone who didn’t mess words when she had something to say. In any case I wanted to get that smile back on Bella’s face, “So senior year you went to Victoria?”

“Yes,” Bella then launched into a twenty minute tale of everything they did while there for one night. By the time she was done we were heading out of the city going south on I-5.

“So why didn’t you go back again?” It seemed like a harmless question. She lived an hour away from Port Angles, it would have been simple to go on the ferry as a foot passenger. If it was a place that she seemed to enjoy so much why not just go and spend the day?

“Well, I was married a few months later and we didn’t have the money for that Edward. The gas, the ferry, eating, it would have been at least a hundred dollars.” Glancing at her quickly I knew that she said money was always tight but it never dawned on me that a hundred dollars would have been out of her reach.

“Besides I had school, work and keeping the house. There just always seemed to be something that got in the way.” Bella grew quiet.

“Oh,” after the quiet her sudden voice startled me, “that reminds me. Last night Aro brought up that it was time to meet with the financial planner for a six month evaluation.” That must have been what they were talking about in the kitchen.

“He wanted me to ask if you would go with me, if you don’t want to Aro is willing to still go, or I guess I could go myself. After all Aro did show me how to watch trends and play the stock market. He even…”

I cut her off, “Aro gave you financial advice?”

“Yeah,” She seemed uncertain about the answer but quickly brought her thoughts together.

“Edward the only thing about money that I knew was how to balance a check book. On my twenty-fifth birthday, my father handed me a packet that said I had one point two million dollars. It also said that I had ninety days to figure out what to do with it or start paying capital gains.”

Bella looked at me, “I didn’t even know what capital gains meant.”

The admission of her ignorance made me laugh but she went on, “I’m not kidding and I suppose I could have left it with the firm my dad had chosen. After all whatever they were doing it had grown some, but they were based in Port Angeles and were friends of friends. I didn’t want my personal business getting around so I had to find someone else and closer to Seattle. Besides I wanted to take an active role in what happened with the money, but I needed someone to show me how and Aro did that for me.”

She sounded like she was trying to beg me to understand and I did. There was no explanation needed and I was glad that my uncle was there for her. “When is the appointment?”

“I didn’t make it yet, but I assume sometime around the middle of June.”

“I’ll go with you. I presume he has you with Bubba and Lentz?” That was the firm that the whole family used so I couldn’t imagine Aro would have gone elsewhere.

“Yes...and thank you.” Bella took ahold of my hand that was lying on the console, “But really I have learned some so I won’t embarrass you by asking stupid questions like ‘what’s an annuity?’” she giggled.

I stared at her in shock, “You asked what an annuity was?” I couldn’t help the laugh that came out while she blushed nodding her head.

“I didn’t know and he kept saying monthly annuities, annual annuities, asking what I wanted to do with them, so I had to ask.” Bella giggled.

“Well you’re welcome” I told her raising our joined hand placing a kiss on the back of hers “… and you can ask anything you need to know.”

Bella seemed to be debating something in her head and I could tell there was a question brewing but I just waited.

“Edward?” My eyes glanced over to her sitting there looking rather nervous.

“How much do you have in your trust?” she fidgeted slightly then added, “Never mind, it’s none of my business.”

It was her business; I was thinking of spending the rest of my life with Bella. She had a right to know. “No that’s ok we should talk about this. You have a little over a million?”

“Just a little because when I moved back to Washington, Charlie used part of the inheritance to buy the house for me. It had to remain in his name because I was still married and James would have been entitled to half of it. So as soon as the divorce was final Charlie signed the house over to me. He had also allowed me to use part of the money to pay for my Masters as well as some daily living expenses. It was a loophole but it worked out alright.”

“Hmmm…so your house is totally paid off and you have no student loans?”

“Yes, and I have no loans at all,” she seemed rather proud of that fact.

“Well Bella …in my trust I have twice as much as you. But my house is mortgaged at fifty percent of its value.”

“Why would you do that?” she was shocked, “I mean isn’t it better to just pay it off?’

“Tax purposes mostly, but it also is used for a better credit rating.” I let that sink in for a moment before adding, “I’m surprised that they didn’t advise you to have some kind of monthly mortgage payment.”

“Actually they did, but it was already done and they suggested that I take out a small mortgage to renovate my kitchen but honestly I really don’t want to do that.”

I could understand where Bella was coming from, she grew up in a world where you worked hard for your money and hoped like hell you had enough at the end of the month to pay all your bills. I grew up in a world where you were still expected to work hard, but your money worked for you. That didn’t make me better than her or anyone else it was just a different perspective on finances. I wanted to try and explain to her the benefits of having some kind of revolving credit but I figured I would leave that up to the expert.

We had been driving about an hour and just getting into Gig Harbor which I thought would be a good place to stop for lunch, “Are you hungry?”

“Yes”

Bella then surprised me by saying that she had packed a lunch. Which I should have realized with the picnic basket she brought along but apparently I was a little slow. So rather than eating fast food or in a restaurant we sat at a table in the park eating chicken salad, potato chips and fresh fruit. She had thought of everything right down to the red and white checkered table cloth.

After eating we walked Seth along the Marina holding hands and just talking about nothing in particular. It was natural, easy and relaxing the absolute perfect way to start our vacation. After Seth had done his business –twice – we got back in the car. By the time we got to Port Angeles we had an hour before the Ferry departed.

Seth needed another walk and being in a strange city he made sure that every tree he came in contact with got a small sprinkle. Bella and I laughed at the last one as he lifted his leg and literally shook until he squeezed out some pee. By the time he was done marking his territory the ferry was starting to load. After giving the reservation pass to the guard along with showing our passports, Seth’s license and rabies tags, and assuring that we had nothing to declare we were able to board.

It was still rather warm out but there was a breeze blowing as we stood up on the deck. My arms wrapped around Bella’s waist pulling her close to my chest while Seth sat by our feet looking out through the railing. It felt liberating once the ferry started moving, like we were leaving so much behind us but yet there was so much ahead of us too.

In any case I held Bella a little tighter snuggling my nose into the crook of her neck. “I love you.”

Her warm hand cupped my cheek as her face turned towards mine, “I love you too.”

The moment was sealed with a simple kiss. It was in that moment that I realized why none of the rings seemed to be the right one. The woman I loved wasn’t flashy or outspoken; she was soft, subtle, and classy. She should have a ring that expressed that about her. A ring that told everyone what a wonderful person she was but more importantly told them that she was mine.

No comments: