Mine

Mine
A riding crop and a blindfold doesn't make it BDSM. There is a big difference between being kinky and being in the scene. It's not a sexual thing to me, it's a very spiritual thing. ~ DominaBlue

3/24/11

Chapter 38

EPOV


“Cullen, two.”

The hostess looked down in the book, marking something with a pen before looking back to me, “It will just be a minute Sir.”

I nodded taking Bella’s hand in mine noticing the small wince she made. Lifting it I observed that the side of her palm was slightly swollen.

“What did you do to your hand?”

She sighed while making a noise of irritation but she didn’t get to explain because the hostess showed us to our table.

We followed the woman through the restaurant - my hand on the small of Bella’s back - to an intimate table in the far corner of the room. While we walked I felt Bella stiffen in her movements but I didn’t understand why until I pulled her chair out and she sat down. A few tables over sat Eleazer, Carmen and Tanya, Eleazer gave me a curt nod in greeting which I returned before moving my chair to sit closer to Bella.

“Ah…shit, I was hoping I wouldn’t have to see her for a few weeks.”

“Who?” I didn’t know who she was talking about.

“Tanya...she seems to think she has some kind of claim on you.”

That little revelation shocked me, “When did you see her?”

The waiter came over to get our drink order. I hadn’t looked at the wine list so I just ordered a bottle of their house specialty figuring that would be a good choice.

“This morning in the gym, well actually in the shower room,” Bella started to explain once we were alone again. “She felt it was her place to inform me that I was your…‘flavor of the month’ and I shouldn’t get too comfortable in my position.” I shot a quick glance over my shoulder in the direction of their table before looking back to Bella.

“What else did she say?” I asked while Bella took a drink from her water glass.

“She seemed to be concerned with my…limitations; insinuating that you would tire of me.” I was beyond shocked, heading into fury but I didn’t want my anger to be directed at the woman sitting next to me so I reined it in.

“I’ll talk to her Bella.”

She answered me quickly, “No don’t… that’s what she wants.”

The waiter was back with the bottle of wine pouring a small amount for me to test. It was acceptable and after pouring each glass he left allowing us to look over the menu.

While I watched Bella scanning the choices I felt something needed to be said. “Bella,” her eyes met mine. “You are the only one that has any claim on me…” A soft smile played on her lips “…and I love you, there are no limitations where you are concerned.”

Her hand cupped my cheek, “I love you.” I knew we were in a crowded restaurant but I didn’t care as I moved closer to kiss her. A throat clearing stopped us from going too far.

“Have you decided?” The blush on Bella’s face made me grin.

“Calamari?”

She nodded, and I told the waiter we would start with that and to give us a few minutes to decide on the rest. Bella wanted Egg Plant Lasagna, so when the waiter returned I ordered for both of us along with the house salad.

“So, how did you hurt your hand?” I asked picking up the wine glass.

“Umm…I hit your steering wheel.” The way she scrunched up her face along with the tone of her voice made me chuckle. I wanted to ask why, but Bella grinned and then went on, “I was mad, she pissed me off and when she grabbed my arm I wanted to smack her, so instead it hit the steering wheel.”

“She touched you?” That was completely uncalled for, and would not happen again.

“I can handle her,” there was venom in her voice while she admonished my reaction. “Believe it or not Edward, I’m not a china doll and I can take care of myself.”

I figured I’d better do something to change her mood, so when waiter left after bringing the Calamari I leaned in closer to her, “I would never compare you to a china doll Bella, you’re more like a Barbie.”

“What?” I grinned at her reaction.

“Oh yes baby, china dolls sit on a shelf for you to look at. Barbie’s you take out to play with, and you know how much I like to play!” I growled the word in her ear making her giggle.

“Eat your squid Edward.” I chuckled at her blush, stiffening at the sound of my name being said.

“Edward, excuse the interruption.” Eleazer was standing next to the table; I stood to see what he wanted. “Carmen informed me there was an altercation this morning and I wanted to offer my apologies in behalf of my own.” I looked to Bella she was glancing down at her plate pretending to find something interesting.

“Bella,” her eyes met mine, “I believe Eleazer was speaking to you.” When I glanced at him he had the decency to nod in her direction increasing the respect I had for the man.

“I accept your apology.” I thought she was done but then Bella added, “May I ask you a question?”

“Certainly”

“Was Tanya there to see me or was it just my good fortune?” I had to bite the inside of my lip to keep from snickering.

“I assure you it was totally coincidental, the women had joined that particular fitness center over the weekend. Carmen tried to catch you this morning to have Tanya apologize herself, however I thought it would be better to have the apology come from me.” Bella only nodded and the waiter had shown up with our salads.

“I will leave you to enjoy the rest of your evening. Ms. Swan, Edward.”

I sat back down while the waiter put our plates on the table. Bella was quiet and she looked deep in thought; as I took a bite of salad I was wondering how to bring up Mr Weiss. I had made a promise to myself and to her that I would not keep anything hidden and I wasn’t going to go back on my word.

Bella broke off a piece of bread before finishing the wine in her glass which I quickly refilled. I thought maybe after another glass she would be more relaxed while we had the conversation I dreaded bringing up. But I didn’t get a chance to wait because Bella broke the silence.

“Edward, that guy Stephen…”

“Stefan,” I corrected her.

“…Stefan. How does he know how much money I have?” I needed a drink before I started.

“Was he correct… about the amount?” I asked setting my glass back in the table.

“A little more, it was all from my mom and Phil. I got everything; the life insurance, the house, bank accounts, Phil’s signing bonus, it was all mine. But how did he know that?” I took a deep breath telling her the honest to god truth.

“I don’t know Bella, but I think we need to find out.”

I proceeded to explain to her what Aro had said - that it is probably harmless curiosity but that it needs to stop and the only way to do that is find who we are dealing with. Then I told her about hiring the Private Investigator to look into the matter.

“Do you think that’s necessary?” the concern in her voice was what I was hoping to avoid.

“I don’t know Bella. If there is nothing to find…good, but on the off chance that there is something, well then we need to know.” Bella sighed taking a small bite of her salad which she seemed to chew forever before swallowing. I figured I’d better tell her what else I decided today.

“I’m going to call a security company tomorrow and have them install a good system that includes outside surveillance”

“Why?” Bella’s voice was high from the tension.

“Peace of mind. It was probably just kids but someone was messing with your car. There was nothing wrong with that tire other than the air was purposely let out. So do me a favor and make sure you always park in the garage.” Bella looked in my eyes with that sadness I had only seen on her a few times.

“I’m sorry all this stuff is coming down around you, maybe it would just be better if I stayed away for a while...” the tears were forming in her eyes and I wiped them away before they could fall or she could utter one more word.

“No Bella…baby…” the last thing I wanted her to feel was guilty and I certainly didn’t want her to stay away. “… that’s not the answer. We need to know what’s going on and why. It could be anything from happenstance to deliberate vandalism. Then it could be someone we know, or kids playing pranks or someone we’re not even aware of. I’m just saying we need to check it out. In the mean time please be careful.”

Our meals came and while we ate Bella she told me how the rest of her day went, along with what the rest of the week entailed. I told her about the contractor coming tomorrow and my date with my mother the following day. Then we talked about the upcoming weekend. She was busy with the walk-a-thon most of Saturday and Sunday morning was the volunteer’s breakfast. I told her we would work around those things, because as much as we try to not let it, sometimes real life gets in the way of our playtime.

“If I eat anymore of this I’m not going to have any room for cake,” she announced pushing her plate away making me chuckle.

“Well heaven forbid we can’t let that happen.”

When the waiter came back I ordered coffee and the Chocolate Cake I had promised her. Asking him to wrap up the rest of Bella’s meal – which she insisted on taking for lunch the next day - and to seal the remainder of the wine for us to take home. While we waited I had one more thing I wanted to talk about.

“I was thinking about that trip to Victoria.” Bella didn’t say anything so I went on, “next weekend we go to Forks and Victoria is on the way.” Her eyes narrowed making me grin, “Alright Port Angeles is on the way,” I amended.

“And we can get the ferry there…” I nodded in agreement watching her put the fork in her mouth silently groaning as her moist tongue peeked out to wipe some chocolate off her lips.

Damn that is so fucking sexy

I started picturing her licking chocolate off my dick, her tongue making long sweeps and swi…
“When do you want to go?” Her question brought me out of my little fantasy. I heard what she said, but it took a second for my brain to start again, so as a diversion I took a drink of coffee.

“I was thinking we could go Wednesday to Friday and then head to Forks,” I explained the plan while pushing the plate with the last bite of cake towards her, which she gladly put in her mouth.

“Hmmm…” that sound was not helping my hard on at all, “…well, I would rather leave Tuesday; that would give us two whole days there.” That was an even better idea. “I have to see if Seth can stay with Leah again…”

“Abigail’s allows pets, we can take Seth.”

“Yeah?” I nodded at her surprised expression. “Ok, I’ll tell Carol tomorrow.”

“Let’s look at it in the morning and make sure we can get a room first.” The waiter came to see if we needed anything else, I ordered a piece of cake to go.

The ride home was quiet. I could tell Bella was deep in thought about something. I wanted to ask but then I remembered what Emmett said and decided to wait, thankfully I didn’t have to wait long. “Edward about this Mr…Weiss?” I glanced her way meeting her eyes with a nod. “What exactly is he going to be looking for?”

I told her everything that I knew. “He said that he would start with checking out who was inquiring into your credit history, financial reports, medical and educational records along with any other personal information. He would also do a full background check on anyone who had been accessing that information along with anyone else we think could be responsible.”

Bella sat looking out the side window until I pulled into the garage. Putting the car in park and turning the key I picked up her hand. “Baby talk to me.”

Her head turned but she didn’t meet my gaze, “There’s nothing to say. You’re going to pay a stranger to look into every minute aspect of my life to find out if some other stranger is doing the same thing. What about my privacy?” her voice broke on the last word.

“There are things I don’t want people …things I can’t even…” a heavy sigh left her and before I was aware of what was happening she was out of the car heading for the house.

Seth greeted us warmly with a waging tail; Bella bent over to pet his head then made her way out into the kitchen to let him outside. She didn’t say a word while putting the leftover’s from the restaurant in the refrigerator. The silence was killing me and I wondered if I made the right decision in telling her, I didn’t want her to worry but I wasn’t going to lie to her either.

I watched her move around the kitchen putting away the dishes from the dishwasher and wiping a counter that was already clean. I couldn’t take the quiet any longer, “are we going to talk about this?”

Bella spun around to face me, her eyes were glassy and I couldn’t tell if she was angry or scared; either one was something I would have done anything to avoid. “I told you there is nothing to talk about, he’ll find out all my dirty little secrets. But it doesn’t really matter because apparently everyone already knows all about them.”

The pain in her voice was tangible and I knew that whatever she was talking about had nothing to do with vandals. I wanted to grab her and force her to tell me what was causing her so much despair, to scream at her to just fucking tell me and get it off her conscience so she could heal. I couldn’t understand why she was keeping it bottled up inside her where it was festering causing her whole body to become infected.

Instead I took a deep breath to calm myself. “Bella if you would like me to tell Mr Weiss to forget it, I will…” I didn’t get to finish because she butted in.

“No! I don’t want people looking into my personal business, and I want to know what they find so damn interesting about me. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

“You’re right” I told her wrapping my arms around her, as her body relaxed against me I could feel some of the tension evaporate. “You didn’t sleep very well, it’s been a long day and you’re tired. Let’s go to bed.” Bella sighed against my chest before nodding her head in agreement.

While I let Seth in she opened the refrigerator to get a bottle of water then stood looking at the calendar. With her finger she pointed, moving it along the paper in what looked like she was counting the days to something. I could guess what it was, but I didn’t ask.

Bella went down the hall to get ready for bed, while Seth and I went into my room. He plopped himself down in his bed while I went into the bathroom. When I came out she was sitting with her back against the pillows with her knees bent rubbing lotion into her legs. The pink night shirt she had on hung loose over her breasts while it gathered around her lower stomach letting me see the shape of her ass cheek. As I threw my clothes into the hamper I took notice that a few things had been added to my dresser, a small hand mirror, perfume and a hairbrush which I picked up to take with me.

“My parents have an extra dresser I’m going to get for you.” She looked at me in confusion. “I thought it would be more convenient for you to have your own than to share mine.”

“Oh,” her eyes met mine with a wicked grin. “My own room and a dresser. Next thing you know there will be tampons in every bathroom.”

I chuckled motioning with the brush for her to turn around which Bella did without a second thought. Soft sounds of contentment came from her as I moved the brush through her hair. “Edward…” my name left her mouth in a hush.

“What baby?” I asked sweeping a section of hair over her shoulder.

“I’m sorry for losing my temper downstairs; it’s not your fault.”

I placed a small kiss on her shoulder, “it’s alright, you’ve have a stressful day and I’m a big boy, I can take it.”

The corners of her lips twitched in an amused expression while she tucked her chin against her shoulder, “you’re too good to me.” I kissed her cheek as a single tear ran down her face.

“There is no such thing baby.”

Bella’s chin lifted and her lips brushed against mine ever so softly. When she pulled back her eyes were staring into mine and I could feel the force pulling me to her. Dropping the brush, I put my hand behind her neck and kissed her, tasting the mint on her breath as her lips parted to allow me entrance.

The moan that left her mouth was captured by my own as our tongues moved together. Bella shifted rising to turn so she was facing me while our mouths continued in their slow sweet dance. Her thighs straddled my hips causing her hot center to come in contact with my dick. She wiggled her own hips making me thrust up and groan from the contact while my hands cupped her breasts through the thin material of her shirt.

“Ohh…Edward…touch me… please…”

She didn’t have to ask twice. My hands gripped the bottom of her shirt and Bella raised her arms for me to remove it before capturing one taut nipple with my mouth. Her hands held on to my shoulders while her chin raised so she could arch her back giving me better access. My mouth swirled and teased her nipple as my hand worked on the other one, all the time she continued grinding her hot core against me.

It felt so fucking good I thrust up to get more friction as we moaned against each other’s mouths. Bella pulled her mouth away from mine placing soft kisses down my neck; her breath was heavy in my ear as her desire rang through her voice, “make love to me.”

My hands found purchase on her hips so I could gently lay her down on the bed. Her eyes were heavy with longing as I lay on top of her grinding myself against her. She was so fucking wet the moisture was soaking through my boxers. Her hands reached down over my hips to remove the thin layer of cotton that was between us. They only went so far and Bella used her toes to move them down my legs while I did the rest by kicking them off with my feet.

Bella’s one leg hoisted around my hip as I entered her with a satisfied groan as a sigh of desperate relief came from her mouth. Our lips never left each other’s skin while we moved together through the building intensity. With each stroke she would encase me in her warm wetness tightening her muscles as she whimpered out her satisfation.

My balls started to ache and Bella’s breathing became more erratic; I knew she was close and I needed her to cum. I rose up slightly on my knees to get a better angle and was rewarded with a moan that vibrated from her throat, “Ohhh…yeesss….ahhh….aaahhh…”

Bella’s body shook in release as her muscles clamped down around me, “Bella, ah fuck!” it didn’t take much longer; I buried my dick deep inside her and came muttering her name.

I stayed there perched on my elbow - unwilling to lose the closeness - looking down into her flushed face. Her hand cupped my jaw as her thumb moved across my cheek.

“My Bella, so beautiful,” I told her staring in her eyes, brushing a few stray hairs out of her face.

“I was thinking the same thing about you,” a warm smile played across her lips. “Can we stay like this forever?”

I leaned down to kiss her. “We could, but I think we would starve to death.” Bella’s giggle caused me to move slipping out of her with a grunt.

She yawned while we were sliding under the blankets and it wasn’t long after she was sleeping with her head on my shoulder and one leg draped over mine. Her warm body snuggled in against my side, and I marveled once again at how perfectly she fit there. I was surprised that I wasn’t tired, but I had a few things on my mind that kept me from joining her in sleep.

I needed to make a few phone calls the next day, the security company was a priority, and then a call to Alice to see if there were anymore plans made for the beach trip. If all worked out we would leave for Victoria next Tuesday, spending the weekend in Forks and then ending up at the beach until the following Thursday.

While I thought about that it dawned on me what she was counting on the calendar; Forks. Is it possible that she dreads going that much? Emmett told me once he and Rose were flying to New York and she became so distraught over the thought of a simple layover in Chicago that he changed the flight plans. That change added hours to the travel time by flying to Dallas and making two stops instead of one, but he insisted it was worth it.

The main thought occupying my mind was Bella herself. She was edgy, downhearted, and irritable and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it, except wait. The question nagging at me was how much longer I was going to be able to sit back watching her self-destruct before my eyes? A whole day had already passed and I still had not gotten the full story from her.

All Bella had to say was, ‘Caning is off the table’ and the discussion would be closed, no big deal and never brought up again unless by her. But she didn’t and that is what confused me. Why does she have to be so damned vague? I’ve been telling her since day one that I need clear, concise answers; I can’t help her work through whatever mental barrier she has until I know what it is.

One thing I was defiantly sure of, there was no way we could not go back into the playroom until I was fully aware of what she was concealing. There was no way in hell I was going to take the chance of Bella bottoming out because of some repressed memory. I wasn’t willing to accept the possibility that I could inadvertently hurt her or set back the progress she had made for a few hours of kinky fun. She wasn’t going to like that and would more than likely blame herself, but I would deal with that when the time came. At that moment I was going to give her one more day to talk to me before making a decision.

Bella stiffened in my arms, “No…don’t …don’t…”

“Shhh…sleep my Bella,” I whispered into her hair tightening my arm around her shoulders.

The rest of the night was spent much the same way, she would whimper out words of protest at one point tears streamed down her face. I could not imagine the fearful horror that would cause such a reaction to occur. There was nothing I could do but hold and soothe her as much as possible. I found that whenever my embrace became slack her cries increased, so I rolled us into a spooning position with my leg entwined around hers. In the security of that position she grew quiet and I finally fell asleep.

I felt Bella slip out of my arms; glancing at the clock it was almost six. I thought she was going to the bathroom, but then the door opened. I laid there for another hour before going downstairs to find her in the same position she was in yesterday.

“Hey, you really enjoying that book or is there some other reason you’re getting up so early?” I knew the answer to that question and I was hoping she would take the opportunity to talk to me, but she didn’t.

“It’s an interesting outlook on life.”

“Hmmm…I’m going to get some coffee.” I couldn’t stand there looking at the discontent on her face.

I took my cup of coffee upstairs to drink while I showered and dressed, when I went back down Bella was in the kitchen with a bowl of cereal and yogurt. I got myself a bowl joining her.

“Edward, if I’m going to stay here I will need to go home and get a few more items, and there are some things in my fridge that I should bring along.”

“We can go over tonight to get whatever you need.” I nodded while chewing.

That was the bulk of our morning conversation. Bella moved to wash her bowl and clean up the counters taking another cup of coffee upstairs with her to get dressed. When she came down her hair was pulled back in a barrette and she had on a pair of brown slacks and a light blue shirt.

“Do you think we could look over the information for the trip, so I know what to tell Carol?”

“Sure”

I set up the laptop on the table and once I was all logged in we sat looking over the various sites. I showed her Abigail’s; it’s a hotel in the heart of town that is more like a Bed and Breakfast. The rooms are quaint, each one a different theme with a sitting area and a fire place. Bella liked the Coach House rooms and after checking the availability we were all booked.

We sat a little longer talking about some of the things she would like to do there. I had not been to Victoria in a long time and there were some new attractions that were possibilities for us to see. I thought it was a good time to bring up the extended stay at the beach. Bella seemed very open to that possibility, with it being made all the more attractive because both hotels allowed pets.

“When you talk to Alice would you get the name of the hotel so I can sort of figure out what the cost is going to be?” The statement was harmless enough but my answer must not have been.

“I got it Bella, you don’t have to worry about paying”

Her eyes narrowed, “Edward I’m not going to let you pay for the whole thing. We’re both going so we’ll both pay.”

“I’m the one that suggested the long trip, I got it.” I watched as the resentfulness rolled across her face.

“This is not up for discussion, I’m paying my half.”

What does she mean half? Are we going to split the cost of meals?

“Isabella be…” I didn’t get to finish, Bella’s eyes turned to pure fury.

“Don’t you Isabella me! Every time you want to get your own way it’s Isabella…well it isn’t fucking working this time!”

“Excuse me, I suggest you calm down.” Her whole face turned bright red as her eyes narrowed even more while she glared at me.

“Don’t You Tell Me To Calm Down…” the words spit from her mouth through clinched jaws. “This isn’t a Wednesday and it’s not the weekend…so don’t you tell me what to do because I’m not fucking listening!” She got up to put her cup in the sink; half way there she spun around to look at my stunned face.

“And another thing, you want to go on this trip that’s great, but you better get it through your thick head that I am paying my fair share, and if you don’t like it Tough Shit!” I was totally speechless and slightly bewildered at her anger while she moved around the kitchen.

“You know I’m not your whore Edward or some concubine that needs to be kept. I can pay my own way”

Alright now she was going too far.

“Bella I never said you were my whore and I know you can pay. I just didn’t think…” My own voice was beginning to raise but not as much as Bella’s.

“That’s right you didn’t fucking think! You didn’t care how I would feel about it, you just took it upon yourself to make a decision. Then you thought you could pull that Isabella shit and I would comply to your wishes on my knees with my fucking mouth open. Well forget that shit, I’m not doing it!”

I stood taking a deep breath in restraint while I tried to reason with her. “Bella,” I made sure to say the correct name again, “Bella, I know you are tired and stressed from whatever you have going on in that pretty little head of yours …”

“Oh great Edward …now I’m stupid?”

What? When the hell did the word stupid leave my mouth?

“I never said you were stupid, in fact you are quite the opposite. Except for right now…” She interrupted before I could continue.

“So I am stupid?” I sighed putting my hands on her forearms hoping she would look at me but her glare was over my shoulder.

“No you are not stupid. You are, however, putting yourself through undue turmoil and you’re not thinking straight.” I stopped talking thinking she would look at me and when she didn’t I went on. “Baby talk to me and tell me what’s bothering you.”

Finally her tear filled eyes met mine and I thought I had gotten through.

“At the moment…. it’s you!”

“Fine…have it your way. When you’re ready to talk to me, I’ll be waiting.” I let go of her arms thinking that was the best way to end this whole fiasco; Bella however had another idea.

“Don’t patronize me Edward!”

“Bella what do you want me to do?” I was getting frustrated and beginning to lose my temper.

“I want you to let me pay my fair share.”

I let out a long deep breath, “Fine, we’ll figure it out and divide it up. But this isn’t just about the money Bella and I’m beginning to grow impatient”

“What the fuck does that mean? You said that yesterday, what are you - going to get rid of me? Am I the flavor of the month?” Bella looked over at the clock.

“Don’t talk so stupid Bella!” How could she even think that?

“Oh, now we are back to my lack of intelligence!” My eyes grew wide at the cockiness of her tone and I realized there was no way I was going to win, so I remained quiet while Bella stood there with a arrogant expression waiting for my retort. Once she realized it wasn’t going to happen the anger was back on her face before she moved away from me.

“I have to go” I could hear the shakiness in her voice while taking the leftovers from last night out of the fridge. I refused to say anything fearing that the arguing would begin again. As she walked off the porch Bella turned to look at me her voice sounded hopeful as she asked, “I’ll call you later?”

Still not trusting verbal communication I gave her a nod and then watched as she drove away. Looking down at Seth who was standing in the doorway with me I needed to ask someone, “What the hell did I do? I know mommy is a bit crazy at the moment, but she’ll get better.”

The poor dog looked at me in disbelief, “She will, I promise…come on, I’ll let you out.”

While he was outside I made the bed then called the security company. They would be coming out Thursday to install the system. The call to my sister took longer. She was excited about us all going along apparently my parents had decided to join us however the destination had changed due to lack of available rooms. It didn’t matter to me and I was fairly sure Bella wouldn’t object; but I wasn’t going to bring it up until she was in her right frame of mind. In any case it should turn out to be an interesting trip. Before I knew it the contractor was at the door.

The plans looked great; in order to fit a standalone shower the wall of the tub base would need to be curved. The wall then would extend into the shower creating a bench. It was interesting and expensive just as I had thought it would be. However, the price was within reason so I signed the contracts and they would be beginning the week after I returned from the trip. By the time he left it was after one and I needed to get some lunch.

There wasn’t much in the refrigerator – I was going to need a shopping trip – but there was some leftover’s from the other night so I put that in the microwave and fed Seth. My phone rang just as the ding sounded. Pulling the hot food out I answered.

“Hi Mom.”

“Hi darling. I was wondering how Bella was. Does she feel any better?” I thought maybe somehow she knew about our disagreement this morning but I wondered how that could be.

“She’s alright mom.” It was kind of the truth.

“Oh, good. Is she sleeping?”

I stopped mid-chew swallowing hard so I could answer her, “No…she’s not here.”

“Oh, she was going home, I just assumed that meant your house.”

“Mom, what are you talking about? Bella is at the center, it’s training week.” I got that bad feeling again and couldn’t take another bite.

“Yes I know, I was there. I’m going to help with fund raising.” She sounded happy about that, but I was more concerned about Bella so I paid more attention to the next part of her statement. “We were watching some slides and she didn’t feel well so she left early.”

“When?” I didn’t mean to sound rude but I needed to know.

“It was before lunch, I guess around eleven?” I looked at the clock it was after one…shit.

“I’ll talk to you later mom, I’ve got to go.” I didn’t wait for her to say anything before hanging up, I would call her later to apologize but right then I needed to hear from Bella.

She answered on the second ring; I could barely understand her through the sobs. The best I could understand was she was safe, at her house, which I got to as quickly as I could. Bella’s car was sitting in the driveway and that fact alone struck me as strange, pressing the code into the door I went inside.

The kitchen was a mess there was a broken glass shattered on the floor and papers thrown all over the table. I couldn’t think about what I was seeing because my focus was on the wail of pain that was coming from the living room. I wasn’t sure what I was walking into… but I knew it wasn’t going to be good.

She was sitting on the wooden floor among a pile if spread out papers and photographs, with used discarded tissues thrown about.

“Bella?”

The look in her eyes was one of total devastation; there was no life behind her gaze, only pain and grief. My own eyes filled with tears as she sucked in an audible breath then shook in anguish on the exhale. I was pinned there for a split second, unable to think about anything but the wretchedness of what I was looking at.

Wiping the tears from my eyes I slowly moved towards her glancing at the photos while I sat down; they were all of her. I looked around at the papers they appeared to be some kind of legal documents along with a few medical reports; I didn’t have time to examine them too closely though because Bella was a mess. Whatever wound had been festering under the surface had just been ripped open, leaving her completely desolate.

“I…I…I...t-t-tried…I tried …tried ….I tried to g-g-get away…I cou...c-couldn’t…”

I could barely understand what she was saying because her breathing and words were coming out in short quick gasps. I had to get her to calm down.

“Come here baby,” I pulled her into my lap cradling her in my arms and sniffled as I breathed in the familiar scent of her hair.

“Shhhh…breathe with me Bella…that’s a girl deep breaths…shhhhh…” We sat there while I rocked us back and forth, trying desperately to calm her while I wiped away my own tears. Her sobs had turned to hiccups and I thought she had calmed down until she spoke in a wail.

“He..he…t-t-t…tied me to the…t-t-t..table ….I…cou...couldn’t move,” the last word left her mouth in a high pitch tremble and I held her tighter while she shook.

“Shhhh…it’s ok baby…let it out…just let it all out,” I whispered repeatedly while I held and rocked her.

She started talking through her tears and I listened as she told me about being tied to the table. How he used tweezers and beat her with a belt. As she told me the story my eyes shifted down to the floor where they caught glimpses of the aftermath of the attack. I thought about what Jacob had said and I had pictured images in my head of what I thought the bruise would look like, my imagination was nothing compared to reality.

I was looking at pictures of a woman whose jaw was black and blue. She looked like there was not one spot on her torso that was not battered. Her breasts, ribs, and stomach as well as her upper thighs were all varying shades of purple with deep red stripes going through it. How the hell she survived that attack at all; let alone without more internal damage then she received was beyond me.

Bella buried her head in my neck and wailed as she told me how he pinched her thighs and stomach while he raped her. Her body trembled while I cried listening to the fisting and degrading humiliation she lived through with him spreading feces on her.

My arms wrapped protectively around her while she clung to me crying that it was her fault for leaving the door open, for letting the abuse continue, for being with him in the first place. The feelings of shame, indignity, fear, and hurt all came pouring out. Lastly the anger came, anger with herself, with the world, and then with the person she should be most angry with James Cummings.

When I thought she was finally done crying a whole new set of guilty tears came. “I’m …s-s-sorry Edward…I didn’t mean ..what I ..I said…t-today”

“I know baby,…I know.” The last thing she needed was to feel guilty about that. I knew at the time it was a diversion from the real problem, which I still had not heard what the catalyst for all these pent up emotions were. I needed to get it out of her.

“Bella, what happened the other night, what was it that frightened you badly?”

“It was the..the sound…it sounds like the belt.”

I didn’t need to hear anymore to understand what she was talking about. I rocked her gently while sitting on the floor until she was all cried out, draining herself to the point where she fell asleep on my shoulder.

Moving ever so slowly so as not to disturb her, I got to my knees before standing, to carry Bella into her room. Her body was limp from the exhaustion as I laid her in bed, covering her with a throw. I sat there on the edge of the bed keeping watch and waiting to see if she would awaken, when she didn’t I moved out into the other room to survey the aftermath. Looking around the room, the only thing I was clear about was that I needed a drink.

There was half a bottle of wine in the fridge, which I poured myself a tall glass of, before getting the broom to start cleaning up the floor. I didn’t know how the glass shattered, if she dropped or threw it, either way it couldn’t stay there. I didn’t take too much notice of what the papers were on the table, other than to see that they were from an attorney’s office in Phoenix that were dated from the early nineties.

Bella’s phone rang; I would have let it go to voice mail but I saw that it was Leah so I answered.

She was surprised to hear my voice.

“Who is this?” I got in way of a greeting.

“Edward,” I answered, not even recognizing my own voice.

“Oh is… where’s Bella? Is everything alright?” The concern in her voice was clear.

“She’s sleeping.” I then proceeded to give a brief rundown of the afternoon.

“Oh my god…I’ll be right there,” she hung up before I could say anything which reminded me of my mother, quickly calling her I left a message on her voice mail. Leah came in the back door as I was hanging up. I must have looked like hell, because she took in my face asking if I was alright before going to check on her sister.

I had gathered all the photos in a pile unwilling to look at them, Leah’s voice cracked from behind me while I gathered the paperwork. “Do you know when all this happened”

I shook my head, “my mom called me at one asking how Bella was, telling me that she left the center around eleven, by the time I got here she was a mess,” I handed her all the papers along with the pictures and a large manila envelope that was underneath everything.

“Do you know where these go? I don’t want to look at them, and I don’t want her to have to look at them either.”

“That was almost five hours ago, why didn’t Bella call me?” Looking at the clock it was four thirty-eight. I didn’t have an answer for Leah, and frankly it didn’t matter. I was more concerned with Bella’s state of mind; Leah’s next statement completely astonished me. “I guess you guys aren’t coming for dinner.”

“I don’t think so, I’m thinking Bella needs to sleep and neither one of us would be very good company, maybe we could do it another night.”

“Yeah, whatever,” she sighed taking the envelope with her, I assumed she put it away because she was empty handed when she came out. “Well, I don’t need to stick around, tell Bella to give me a call when she wakes up.”

I chalked up the indignant tone in Leah’s voice to imagination from my own fatigue, telling her I would relay the message. When she left, I joined Bella lying down next to her and she rolled in her sleep to adhere herself to my body; my arms instinctually tightened around her form as I whispered, “I’ve got you Bella, I swear no one is ever going to hurt you again,” before falling into an exhausted sleep.

No comments: