Mine

Mine
A riding crop and a blindfold doesn't make it BDSM. There is a big difference between being kinky and being in the scene. It's not a sexual thing to me, it's a very spiritual thing. ~ DominaBlue

3/24/11

Chapter 19

EPOV

Bella practically ran up the stairs, my eyes became fixated on the source of her discomfort. Before I could say anything, Aro held his hand up, “Jane dear, please go upstairs and see if you can assist Isabella.”

“Yes Master.”

Caius stood as Jane moved towards the steps. “Edward, you know what I said was nothing but truth.”

“I don’t know any such thing.”

“Gentlemen please,” Aro was watching Jane and as soon as she reached the top of the stairs his attention turned to Caius. “You owe Edward and Isabella an apology.”

“I don’t apologize to subs, especially a newbie”

“That’s right; Isabella is new to this lifestyle. I’ve had one week to work with her, and she was doing remarkably well.”

I was going to continue but Caius broke in, “Edward you know that you have never trained a sub from the beginning, and it was very plain to all here that this Isabella is not being trained the way she should be. Perhaps you should hand her training off to me.”

“What? Are you out of your fucking mind?”

“Edward my boy there is no reason for the use of profanity,” Aro reprimanded me as only an uncle could.

“Edward you of course would oversee the training, then Isabella would be completely returned to you properly prepared.”

I didn’t even know what to say, I couldn’t believe my ears. This man insulted Bella and me in our own home, and he did it to try and get his hands on her.

“I want you out of my house”

“Edward, be reasonable,” Irena tried to interject, “Caius has a point. You began my training, but that didn’t go over very well. There was so much I was not prepared for.”

“Are you kidding? First off, our relationship was over four years ago and the reason you were not prepared had nothing to do with me. You went out to find something that there was no way in hell I was going to participate in. You want to be a pain slut, be my guest. You want to be whipped until you bleed, go find someone else. That was the problem with us Irena it had nothing to do with protocol.” Irena was not happy about me telling her personal business, but at that point in time I really didn’t care.

“Excuse me; I just have something to say…” Felix interjected. I turned my eyes in his direction. If he chimed in on this debacle, so help me God I was going to punch him in the face.

“…I take offence at being included in your comment about it being clear to all here that Isabella is not being trained properly. This is the second time I’ve met her, I find her to be gracious, respectful, and obedient to her Master. So do not either of you include me in this little game you are playing.”

“I was not including you, and I do not see this as a game. Forgive me, friend, for speaking out of turn. I just assumed that it was plain to anyone who can be objective. It is clear Aro has some kind of relationship with the submissive in question.”

“Her name is Isabella and you damn well know it!” I wanted to make it clear that I was not happy with what had just occurred here.

Caius sighed, “Yes Edward, I know her name is Isabella,” he continued speaking to Felix, “I also want to make it clear that because Aro is related to Edward it is hard for him to remain impartial. I was simply making an observation and what I felt to be a viable option to remedy the situation.”

Ok, I had enough of this conversation.

“First off, there is no situation. Second, I wouldn’t give Isabella to you or anyone else for that matter; she is mine, she wears my collar, she follows the rules and protocol that I set for her. So, if anyone has a problem with something she is doing or saying, they can take it up with me.” I needed to breathe and calm down, so that they would know my next statement was not just being said out of anger.

“Lastly, I expect an apology to both me and Isabella; and if you are not man enough to admit when you overstepped your place, then I have nothing more to say to either of you.”

“You would turn your back on all those years of friendship over a new submissive?” Irena questioned me with raised eyebrows.

“That would be your choice Irena. Isabella is my first priority; I cannot and will not have her be disrespected in her own home.”

She snorted rudely, “This is not her home Edward.”

“Isabella is here four days a week, she has more rights to feel safe and comfortable here then you do. How dare you think that you can insult her and then just walk away and call yourself reputable? If you two are the epitome of a proper dominate and you cannot or will not even admit when you are wrong, then I want nothing more to do with you, and you don’t deserve respect from anybody, especially Isabella.” I needed to make that point very clear.

“Edward is correct, even if what you say is accurate…,” my eyes shot to Aro, “…which it is not” He assured me quickly before turning his attention back to Caius and Irena, “It is not your place to correct another’s submissive. Edward is also correct in saying that if you have a problem with any submissive, you take that up with their Master. You never attack the submissive, and that is what you both did here; for whatever reason I cannot fathom. You both owe an apology to Edward and to Isabella.”

The two began to bicker with Aro about how they were just trying to show Isabella that her training was not as it should be and that they didn’t mean to attack her personally. I was getting angrier by the minute, Bella did absolutely nothing wrong, and she had hardly even said one word when the rude criticism started. I looked to Felix he was as dumbfounded as I was at their excuses. Looking to the stairs I felt a strong pull, Bella needed me.

“If you will excuse me, I want to go check on Isabella.” I said it more for Aro and Felix’s sake, as for the other two - I could care less if they found me rude, because frankly they didn’t deserve good etiquette.

“When we come down, I expect an apology or I expect you gone. The choice is yours.” I wanted to make that point perfectly clear.

The door to Bella’s room was cracked open; the hushed voices of the two women talking could barely be heard. Looking through the opening, I could see Bella and Jane were sitting on the bed crossed leg facing each other holding hands like they were old friends. Which I suppose in a way they were. This was Bella’s room, her private space so I knocked.

“Bella?”

“Come in Edward.”

She had been crying. That much was obvious, the splotchy face, and the red eyes were a dead giveaway; and it broke my fucking heart to see her so upset for no reason.

I sighed, “Come here baby.”

Bella bolted off the bed into my arms, the tears returning, “What did I do wrong?”

I pulled her tighter to me, running my hand down her back in smooth strokes. “Bella, you didn’t do anything wrong.”

Jane had gotten up and was standing next to us, “Edward, do you think it is safe to go back down?”

“I’m sure if it’s not, Aro will tell you.”

She nodded placing a comforting hand on Bella’s shoulder making her lift her head to acknowledge the gesture. “Bella, remember what I said, and I’ll call you Thursday, we’ll set something up, in the mean time you know how to get a hold of me.”

“Thank you, Jane.”

My aunt gave Bella the warmest smile, “Anytime sweetie.” Jane’s hand touched my arm as she moved by me with a nod adding, “You take care of her Edward.”

I didn’t answer instead I nodded once letting my aunt know that I fully intended to do just that. Once Jane left I sat on the bed with Bella on my lap.

“I’m sorry,” her voice was a quiet hush.

“What are you sorry for?” I couldn’t understand why she felt the need to place the disgraceful behavior of someone else on to herself.

“I shouldn’t have just stopped in; I didn’t know you had company. There were no cars in the driveway. I won’t do it again.” Her tears were flowing down over her cheeks as her voice shook.

My fingers wiped her tears away, I wanted her know that she should always feel at ease coming here. I meant what I said downstairs, this is her home too and she should never be afraid to come here, no matter who is here.

“Look at me…” Her eyes met mine, “you didn’t do anything wrong; what happened down stairs was an attack on me, not you. They took it out on you, and that was reprehensible, but I don’t want you to ever to feel uncomfortable in this house. You have more right to feel safe and secure here, then anyone else.”

I kissed her lips tenderly, getting a slight flavor of salt from her tears.

“I’m glad you stopped in, I was beyond pleased when I opened the door and you jumped in my arms. You make me very proud and happy Isabella.” A few more tears spilled out over her eyes, I wiped them away.

“It doesn’t matter what other people say, your only concern should be what I say or think, and I think you are incredible. Now stop crying, those two people downstairs aren’t worth your tears.”

Bella smiled then laid her head on my shoulder snuggling into the junction of my neck. I could feel her breath on my skin as she spoke, “Can we bring them up here?” she asked with a sniffle.

“Why?” I asked confused.

“So I can tell them to go fuck themselves.” I chuckled at her statement.

“It doesn’t work that way Bella, but I would love to see their face when you said it. Are you feeling better?”

“Yes,” she sighed.

“What time is your appointment with Tanner?” I tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Eleven…” her head moved to see the clock on the nightstand “…I have to go soon” she replied with a sigh.

My hand ran down Bella’s back to her bottom patting it gently. “Why don’t you go wash up?”

Bella left the door to the bathroom open so while she was in there, I talked to her. I was glad to hear that she at least gotten another hour of sleep and told her I would go over and search her yard for the missing collar. Five minutes later she emerged looking refreshed and professional.

“Are they still down there?”

I shrugged because I just didn’t know; I gave them both the choice so it was up to them. “If they are, I don’t want you to talk to them. Keep your chin up, your eyes down and your mouth closed. In fact, I don’t want you to say a word to either of them ever again.”

Bella looked in my eyes with a shrewd smile, “Alright, but just so you know--in my head I’m going to be telling them to fuck off.”

I grinned, “That’s my girl!”

I pulled her towards me for a kiss, which deepened without my permission when Bella’s hip brushed against my erection.

“Little Eddie wants to come out and play,” she giggled.

I growled at her banter, swatting her bottom making her yelp.

Everyone was still downstairs; they had set back to working on the plans for the anniversary party. Part of me had wished they would have left and the other part wanted them to humble themselves and apologize. To confirm to Bella that all people make mistakes but that honorable people try their best to correct them; and that even someone who calls themselves Dominates can and should admit when they are wrong.

The tension rolling off Bella was pungent, her body going into a self-protective stature. I could see for the first time her reaction to true panic. I wondered if this was the defense mechanism that she used against her husband, or did she cower away from him. I received my answer as soon as Caius and Irena approached us. They were smiling, but I could tell Bella did not trust them at all. Her body stiffened visibly trembling, her breathing became harsh and she readied herself as if she was going to be struck. Her eyes met mine only for a brief second and the desolation she was trying so hard to struggle against could no longer be hidden.

Bella wasn’t gaining any comfort from my presence and that pissed me off beyond measure.

Caius was the first to talk. “Don’t fear child, I’m afraid I owe you an apology. I forgot that you are so new and have not had time to perfect your skills. I’m sure that in time we shall all be good friends.” Bella remained quiet, in that damn defensive stance; her only indication that she even heard him was a nod.

Caius looked to me. “Edward again, I am truly sorry for any discord my harsh words caused. I truly was thinking only of good.”

Fuck you asshole, I didn’t know if Bella was thinking it, but I was. He never actually said he was sorry, just that he owed her an apology, I inclined my head once in acknowledgement of his words, though they were sorely lacking in sincerity.

Irena’s hand came out as if to touch Bella’s arm and she lost her composure, cringing away from the advancing contact.

“Irena, don’t touch her,” my voice was definite and unwavering.

“Excuse me?” Irena’s tone was a mixture of shock and irritation.

“You heard me. Say what you must, but don’t you ever attempt to touch Isabella.” I moved closer to Bella pulling her small body against my own. I could feel her strengthen at my closeness and cursed myself for not giving her the support she needed previously.

“I was not going to injure the girl Edward, I just wanted to offer her some comfort for my abrupt behavior earlier.” She looked to Bella and I hoped that she had listened and kept her eyes lowered.

“I had wished that we could move past the error that I made this morning and perhaps we could be friends. I’m sure Isabella is not one to hold grudges, and she could forgive me for being so unkind,” her voice lowered to a softer tone, “perhaps it was my resentment at seeing Edward so happy with another, as a woman you can understand that Isabella.”

What the fuck is she playing at now? “Irena.”

“Yes Ma…” Bella stiffened, I stood in shock while Irena sighed, “…old habits and all that,” she said flippantly. “Please forgive me Isabella; I am so very sorry for causing you any discomfort or anguish. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.”

Bella didn’t even nod to acknowledge Irena’s piss-poor attempt at an apology. I will be having words with her once Bella leaves. Irena returned to where she was sitting with a grin, whatever she had hoped to accomplish with her supposed slip I prayed would not work and that Bella would see through her words for what they were…bullshit.
“Come on, I’ll walk you out.”

“Are you leaving Isabella?” Felix asked and Bella looked to me; I nodded giving her permission to answer.

“Yes, it was nice to see you again. Enjoy the rest of your day.” Her voice was confident; he smiled and gave her a nod.

Jane looked up catching Bella’s eyes. They seemed to share a secrete moment, then Jane winked at her and Bella smiled. I would have to ask about that one.

Aro had come over placing Bella’s hand in the crook of his arm, walking her towards the door with me following. Once we were outside Aro spoke, “Isabella, please do not take what happened here today as a normalcy. I have no idea what got into those two, or why they would say what they did, but I will find out. I have never personally been so embarrassed in the presence of anyone as I was this morning.”

“It’s alright Aro, thank you for sending Jane up.”

“It’s not alright; unfortunately I cannot control the rudeness of others. However, if you would like, I believe that Jane can be of assistance to you, and she has expressed a desire to do so. That is something you should discuss with Edward, now if you will excuse me, I would like to get done in there so I can be rid of the company of certain people.”

Bella giggled at his smile, “Always the gentleman.”

Aro patted the back of her hand chuckling, “I endeavor to try, Ms. Swan.”

Bella was still smiling as my uncle went into the house; her full attention was back to me. I didn’t know what to say to her. Her gentle eyes shone with something, as the palm of her hand came up to cup the side of my face, sending that now familiar tingle through my cheek.

“Don’t look so distraught Edward; I’ve dealt with a lot worse than that.” She was so strong all of a sudden.

“I’m sorry baby; I should have given you more support in there.” I felt like I had let her down in some way.

“I have to stand up to people like that. It makes me tense, but I knew you and Aro were there and that made me feel safe. I won’t lie, their words hurt, and when Irena called you Master… I felt sick.” Bella stopped talking her hand dropped from my face as she turned her head to look away from me. My hand came up to her chin, she automatically met my gaze, tears were filling her eyes.

“That was a long time ago Bella, I have no idea why she would do that. She plays a Dom role most of the ti..” Bella interrupted me.
“It doesn’t matter Edward; Jane reminded me that I have two choices. And I will be damned if I allow some pompous ass and snotty bitch to deter me. I’ve allowed someone to influence me long enough, I let James take all the happiness out of my life, he made me feel worthless, and I won’t allow anyone to do that again. Whatever their game is, it won’t work.”

God I love this woman.

What? Love?...no…admire, yes admire, respect, care for her. That’s what a Dom does for his submissive. Bella’s sigh brought me out of my conjecture.

“I have to go, or I’m going to be late.”

Standing by her car door, I pulled her to me, kissing her lips, “I’ll call you later; we’ll go out for dinner.”

“I can cook.”

“I’d rather go out,” I was hoping to have a surprise for her later, she nodded in assent. “Drive careful and I hope your day get’s better baby.” I told her opening the car door.

She quirked a smile, “It can’t get much worse.”

I watched her back out of the driveway and turn the corner heading downtown. Love?

Inside the house everyone was debating what band to have, who should have stage time, and whether the private rooms would be open for the party. Irena continued giving me an evil grin as if she was proud of herself. I ignored her for the moment. It was close to one before everything was settled. In a show of unity Caius and Irena were leaving together.

I followed them outside, “Irena what was up with you calling me Master?”

She turned, “It was a slip Edward, an honest mistake.”

“Don’t give me that. You did it on purpose and whether it was to drive a wedge between Isabella and me, or simply to hurt her feelings, I have no clue. But whatever amusement you got from it, I sincerely hope it was worth it to you. I just want to know why?”

“I told you Edward, it was a slip.” Irena said flippantly

“Edward we apologized to both of you, if Isabella’s feelings were hurt, perhaps she needs to get tougher skin.” Caius smirked at the double meaning behind his words.

I glared at Caius, “I don’t want either of you to ever talk to Isabella again.”

They both huffed in irritation; I wasn’t going to tell them that I instructed Bella not to speak to them. That was just between us.

“Have a good day Edward.” I didn’t answer Caius; instead I went inside shutting the door.

The other three were still sitting in the living room.

“Everything alright?” Felix asked.

I shrugged, “Your guess is as good as mine. I just don’t see what they hoped to gain from their little display this morning.”

Felix thought for a minute, “Isabella is very beautiful with an innocent quality that can be rather intriguing, maybe Caius is just infatuated with her and wants her for his own?”

“She wears my collar, why would he do that? Besides she is not that innocent, she knows the ways of the world. If that was his motive, insulting her is not exactly in his best interest. At this point I highly doubt Bella will ever look at Caius, not to mention trust him. And why in the world would Irena chime in, what’s in it for her?”

Felix raised his eyebrow as if to suggest that I already knew the answer to that question.

I shook my head, “No way, Bella would never go for that.”

“It seems to me Edward that the attack was more directed at you. Have you had any words or problems with either of them recently?” I thought over Aro’s question for a minute shaking my head.

“Irena invited me upstairs a few weeks ago, I declined, what she does is just not my thing. To each their own, whatever gets them through the night, but I don’t want to be involved. She knows that, it’s never been a problem before. And Caius, I barely talk to. I wasn’t rude, in fact I haven’t even seen him since open door night and then I just said hello. Was he even there on Saturday? ”

“Yes he was, I spoke to him briefly about this meeting today. He indicated that he thought you were going to be too busy with Isabella’s training to get anything done. I assured him that was not the case and even if it was we would work around it.”

“I seen him Saturday, but I didn’t speak with him. You weren’t there very long Edward.” I agreed with Felix. I only went to introduce Bella to the whole prospect, and to get her accustomed to the surroundings. Plus, I knew that Ray - the rope master - would be doing a demonstration and I wanted Bella to see it. I wanted to keep all the prying eyes off her, so I went on the defense when Felix came to speak to her. I knew that if I allowed her to converse with him, others would feel entitled to do the same. At that moment she was anxious enough and the less she had to interact with others the better.

Felix finished his beverage, excusing himself. He needed to get to his place of business. As I walked him to the door, he turned to look at me, “Edward I have no idea what Caius and Irena hoped to gain today. But if I were you, I would keep an eye on them.” I agreed with him, asking that he keep his ear to the ground.

Inside my aunt and uncle was still sitting as they had been, Aro on the couch with Jane kneeling by his feet.

As I sat on the chair opposite Aro he spoke, “I’ve known Caius for almost twenty years, I can’t say that we bonded, nor could I say that we have had animosity. He is an active member who has never insinuated any discord and yet I found that I could never fully confide in him. For whatever reason, there was always a distance between us.”

“Master, if your girl may speak?” Aro inclined his head giving Jane silent permission. “It appeared to your slave that he was indicating a bond between Master and Isabella. Perhaps he fears some kind of solidarity between Master and Edward, with Isabella being the common link. If he could break that link by being Isabella’s trainer he could gain Master’s favor.”

“You mean use her as a pawn?”

“Yes Edward, that is what Master’s slave means. Perhaps he is envious of the attention Master gives to Isabella and he is afraid that Master would give extra favor to Edward, in order to please her.”

“That’s insane!” I said at the same time Aro began talking, “My affiliation with Isabella is no one’s business but the people who are in this room!”

Jane’s head lowered. Aro immediately touched her cheek, “Forgive me my dearest for losing my temper, I did not mean to shout at you.”

“Yes Master.”

“Jane?” She looked to me. “Envious how?”

“Time, attention, familiarity, this girl was ill on open door night, however by Sunday morning the blog was over flowing with speculation on the relationship between Master and Isabella. Where she came from, how she received Master’s card, the resentment was clear in almost every comment.”

“There was also much written on you Edward, and the fact that you were not there all weekend only added to the assumptions. Of how Master brought Isabella to New Moon as a gift for you. For you to practice your training skills, so you could take over the club for Master. There was another that suggested that when you are done and Isabella’s training was complete she would then be turned over to Master for his harem. Or that you would place her in the auction.”

“What? Did you know this?” Aro raised his eyebrow at my question.

“I only know of what Jane had informed me of, there is a lot more speculation. Which given your history you cannot blame anyone for questioning your motives.” He then laughed, “I on the other hand wasn’t aware I had a harem, I find myself having enough trouble dealing with one slave, if I had to take care of another, you just might get the club quicker then they think.” Aro chuckled at his comment, but frankly I foiund the rumors to be vulgar.

“Is this something I should tell Bella?” I really was only thinking out loud, but Aro wasted no time in answering.

“Of course you tell her, and then you show her. I would not allow her to reply, your relationship is your own. What happens within that relationship is no one’s business.”

“You don’t think that our quiet will only add to the speculation, making the rumors worse?” I worried outloud.

“There will always be rumors Edward. I see you gaining Isabella’s trust. Today when you placed your arms around her I watched as her fortitude grew profusely. Keep building your relationship from the inside, and do not allow any outside forces to disrupt it. Let them say what they will; as long as the Dominate is always honest, open, and trustworthy, the submissive will gain her power within those confines. That is what I witnessed here today.”

Aro smiled, “You should try to make your presence known. Don’t hide Isabella from the prying eyes, as the others begin to see what I saw today, the rumors will begin to halt, and those that are creating them will lose credibility.”

“We will not be here this weekend, we already made plans for the cabin.”

Aro hummed, “Hmm…perhaps you could come in on Sunday, if for no other reason but to do the sign-in count. Isabella could sit with Jane or take her into the office with you. Make one round upstairs, introduce her to several people and then excuse yourself. That way people can see her for themselves.”

I agreed with that and was glad for Aro’s words of wisdom; that thought reminded me, “Jane, you would be willing to mentor Isabella?”

“Yes Edward, Master had already spoken and given permission to his slave to assist Isabella if she so desired. While upstairs it was mentioned to her, she seemed to find joy in the prospect. Master’s slave told her to ask her own Master’s permission.”

“I will talk to her about it tonight.” Jane shocked me when she blurted out.

“No!” earning a reprimanding tone from Aro, “Jane.”

Her excited eyes immediately lowered to the floor after a few seconds she explained herself, “Excuse your slave Master, she should have controlled herself.” Aro gave her permission to continue with her thoughts.

“Edward, it needs to be Isabella’s desire, not her Master’s, to seek guidance or she will not be open to the friendship and will in turn resent it.”

“Jane is correct Edward, allow Isabella come to you if it is her desire to seek assistance.” Aro sighed, “I believe it is time for us to go, I think I shall take my outspoken slave to lunch.” As we stood on the porch saying good-bye, Aro asked Jane where she would like to eat.

“McDonald’s”

Aro groaned, “Jane I meant food, not grease on a bun.” She lowered her head, resigned to his decision. Aro shook my hand before adding “Edward would you like to come to McDonald’s for lunch with us?”

I smirked at his expression, “No, thank-you.”

Inside I cleaned up from our meeting, putting the papers into the folder, clearing the cups and dishes from the light snacks I had laid out. I was thinking about all that was said in the last half hour. I better sit down with Bella and have a discussion with her, but not tonight. She had an emotional breakdown last night, I felt guilty about that, making her tell me what happened with her neck. I tried to hold her tight and as my arms pulled her body closer to me, she would settle down.

The more I heard about her married life, or perhaps I should say married hell, the more I wanted to track James down and kick the shit out of him. Once she was done talking her body was shaking so much all I could do was clutch her tightly, rocking her gently while whispering words of comfort, hoping that my presence would give her some peace.

She tossed and turned talking about hands and repeatedly saying, ‘it hurts’, while she cried in her sleep. Finally around four she seemed to settle down, by four-thirty I thought it was safe to leave her. My intentions were to go get my grade book and computer, then return. I left her a note, hoping that she would never have to read it, but no such luck.

I had just gathered all the paperwork when Bella texted me, saying that she was awake. I could have kicked myself for leaving her, but I didn’t really have a choice, the grades had to posted by eight. I told Bella I would come back, but she said she was going to take a bath, and I know how long she enjoys sitting in the warm water. I implored her to get some more sleep.

Everyone was coming to my house at nine-thirty to discuss the plans for the Anniversary Ball. Bella didn’t text me back, by six the grades were done, and I fell asleep only waking a little before nine. A quick shower and a cup of coffee, and I was ready when Felix arrived, Aro and Jane were next. When I opened the door for Caius, Irena was just coming up the walkway.

“Edward you look like hell, is that new submissive of yours keeping you up at night?” Irena laughed at her own comment.

I smirked, “Something like that.” I certainly wasn’t going to go into any personal business with Irena.

“Where is your new girl Edward, I have yet to meet her?” Caius looked behind me.

“Isabella is not here at the moment,” I told Caius.

I knew everyone was curious to see her, but they would just have to wait.

“I met her on Saturday; she seems like a lovely girl Edward.” I nodded at Felix’s comment but it was my uncle who spoke, “Isabella is a very lovely girl and my slave is disappointed that she is not here.”

“Well, are we here to talk about my submissive or the Party?” I looked around impatiently at their faces.

Everyone helped themselves to the refreshments I had set out, and we got down to business.

When the doorbell rang I was surprised; I didn’t think we were expecting anyone else, so when I opened the door to see a very tired looking Bella I was startled, and then even more shocked when she jumped in my arms, but it only took a second to enjoy the feel of her against me.

Aro cleared his throat and when I put Bella down, I turned to see his broad smile, Felix’s grin and the other two had a look of confusion. I thought they just didn’t know who had attacked me, so I introduce her. I never would have guessed at the drama that unfolded. After the night she had, that was the last thing Bella needed.

I sighed, what was done was done; all I can do now is move forward.

I looked at my watch -1:18- she should be done with Tanner by now, I pressed her number receiving her voice mail. That wasn’t unusual when she was at the center, “Hello my Bella, I was just thinking of you and wondered how your meeting went. Please call me when you can.”

I had a few errands to run, but I wanted to stop by Bella’s to see if I could solve the mystery of the missing collar.

Bella’s yard isn’t that big, she has tall shrubs lining both sides, creating a natural privacy fence. As I searched through the yard, Seth came out to join me. “Hey boy, where did your collar go?” I asked while I rubbed his ears. Under one of the bushes I found a tennis ball which I threw making him run after it, then proceeded with my search while playing a game of fetch.

I had just finished searching, having coming up empty handed, when Bella returned my call.

“Hey baby, did everything work out with Tanner?” I asked, hoping she had been successful.

“Hi, it went better than I expected. He seems like a nice man, a bit gruff at first, but he is willing to work with us and it looks like moving day will be Friday.”
“Are you going to need help with that?”

“No, I don’t believe so. There isn’t much, she just has some clothes, books, and a few personal items. One trip with a few boxes should do it. Thank you for offering though.”

“Your welcome, I searched your whole yard, I don’t see that collar. Did you search thouroughly in the house; maybe it got kicked under the couch or something, would you mind if I checked?”

“I did look, but if you want to check, go ahead.” I was going to do just that, because frankly it irritated me that something like that would be misplaced.

“Are you staying at the center until four?”

“Actually only until three-thirty, then I’m going to the gym. I should be home by five-thirty.”

“I’ll see you at five-thirty then.”

“I have to shower and stuff Edward. That will take me an hour, especially if I have to dry my hair.”

“I’ll wait for you.” I just wanted to see her and make sure she was truly alright and I missed her, which was fucking insane because I just seen her this morning. We said our good-byes and I headed into the house.

Bella’s home was not what I would call messy, but she did have a habit of leaving things lay around. The kitchen table had a foiled cover plate on it and what appeared to be some kind of bread wrapped in wax-paper inside a Ziploc bag. Walking into the living room, the roses I sent her were placed in the center of the coffee table, with the opened card leaning against the crystal vase.

Looking under her couch, I laughed pulling out the shoes that she wore yesterday from underneath. After looking under the two chairs and finding nothing I made my way into her spare room. I had only ever been in here once before, that was the day I ran into her at the park, or rather Seth ran into me. That was a little over a week ago, and yet so much has changed that it feels like a lifetime ago.

As I looked under the shabby love seat I couldn’t see anything, because the space was filled with games. I figured the best way to look would be to lift it. I stood behind the ugly brown plaid piece of furniture tilting it forward. There were at least ten boxes of games under there and a phone book. I shook my head chuckling; doesn’t she have anywhere else to store these? Well one thing’s for sure there was no collar under there. After a quick survey of the room, I headed into her bedroom.

The bed was unmade, with two towels thrown over the chair in the corner. A coffee mug sat on her dresser, with another one on the nightstand by her clock. Lifting up the dust ruffle I peered under the bed, there were a few plastic totes but that was all. I checked her closet thinking that maybe if it had been left open, perhaps Seth had wondered in there.

She had built in shelves to house shoes, but most were empty with the shoes lying on the floor instead. The chest along the wall where Bella had removed her corsets from had a light yellow shirt on top of it. I didn’t move much around, thinking that if Seth had gotten it caught on anything it would have been in plain sight.

The last place I had to look was the bathroom. There was a basket on top of the sink that held Bella’s personal stuff, makeup, deodorant, stuff like that, but no sign of what I was looking for. On my way back into the kitchen I took the coffee mugs with me, rinsing them before placing them into the dishwasher.

On a whim I went out the front door, thinking that maybe Seth would have come out front. Walking down the narrow sidewalk I checked the edge of the shrubbery, once I reached the end of Bella’s property. I turned to take in the whole scene letting my eyes scan over the grass. Something glimmering caught my attention by the tree. As I got closer I could see the black nylon, and the source of the glimmer, Seth’s license, wedged against a rock that boarded the base of the tree.

Well that mystery was solved. Seth must have gone out front to do his business by the tree and gotten the collar stuck, where the safety latch disengaged leaving it lie wedged in the rocks. Putting the collar on the kitchen table, I reset the alarm system. I had about two hours before Bella came home, and I wanted to go to the adult store, I had seen a new toy for Bella on-line and I wanted to pick it up for this weekend.

Before entering the store, I had a phone call that needed to be placed. Going through my contacts, I found who I was looking for. After a few rings he answered.

“Alex, this is Edward Cullen. I was wondering if you had some time to see me tonight?”

No comments: